Stain Removal Tips for Carpets
Regardless of how many rules you might have in your house; no drinks or food in the living room, always take your shoes off etc. those nasty, stubborn stains will somehow always work their way on to your beloved carpet –especially if it’s cream! – and they will prove super tough to remove.
But Scott and Sons are here to share our most successful cleaning secrets with you to help remove even the most stubborn stains from your carpet, restoring it to its original, beautiful appearance.
- Dip a cloth into a detergent solution and dap at the stain.
- After dabbing repeatedly, hold the cloth on the stain for a few seconds.
- Leave it alone for 15 minutes to give it time to gradually break down the stain.
- Soak up the rest of the liquid with a dry cloth.
Once this has been done, repeat the steps but with a cloth that has been soaked in a vinegar solution
Following this, rinse the solution away by dabbing with a cloth that has been soaked in a lukewarm water solution, and wait one hour for the patch of carpet to completely dry.
Dirt and mud
- First, vacuum any dirt that is dry.
- Dip a cloth into a detergent solution and dab repeatedly, holding on the area for a few seconds.
- Dip another cloth into a lukewarm solution and dap again, then hold for a few seconds.
- Repeat until the stain has lifted.
Oils, waxes and fats
(Such as; crayons, butter, lotions, make-up, nail polish etc. )
- Place a paper towel over the stain, set the iron to a warm setting and iron over the patch.
- The heat from the iron will lift the fat and oil, soaking into the paper towel.
- Avoid any temptation to scrub the area as you will risk pushing the stain even further into the bed of the carpet, so remember it’s important to always use a dabbing motion that will hopefully lift the stain from the fibres.
- Dab the area with a dry cloth to soak up any remaining ink on the surface of the carpet.
- Dab the cloth with alcohol and continue to dab on the area and blot (the alcohol should loosen the ink stain).
- If this fails, cover the ink stain in salt and leave for 8 hours (preferably overnight) and vacuum the area in the morning and fingers crossed, the salt would have worked wonders!
- Carpet shampoos are common ground for cleaning carpets and are great if you have the time, but if you want a quick job where you won’t have to wait for the carpet to dry for hours then try using a carpet powder. Just generously sprinkle the powder to cover the stained area, leave for at least half an hour but overnight is ideal, then in the morning it can simply be vacuumed up, making for a quick and easy job.
- Obviously, try and vacuum everyday to keep on top of the daily dust and dirt that can get trodden into the house, but if you want your carpet to maintain its pristine condition then it is always recommended to have it deep cleaned every 12-18 months by professional cleaning services, like Scott and Sons.
We can invest a lot of money on the carpets for our homes, so you want to make sure they last you throughout the years. Well, carrying out a regular, annual, professional carpet clean is the ideal way to extend the life of your carpet and preserve its pristine condition.
For a carpet cleaning service you can depend on, call on Scott and Sons, the professionals. We offer thorough carpet cleans, whether it’s the whole carpet that needs an annual clean or a little mishap or accident that occurs in between the annual cleans and needs dealing with, we can be there for you.